County Westmeath is renowned for its charming views, lakes and surrounding hills near its centre. Thousands of tourists visit Westmeath every year for trout and coarse angling on the lakes of Derravaragh, Lene, Whute Lough, Lough Sheever, Ennell, Owel, Lough Ree and River Shannon.
The towns of Mullingar (15 minutes drive) and Oldcastle (7 minutes drive) are well worth a visit. They have lots of great pubs and restaurants as well as many other attractions.
Other things to do when you visit County Westmeath include:
- Visit the military museum at Columb Barracks
- Take a trip to Market House Museum
- See the Ecclesiastical Museum’s religious artefacts
- Visit Mullingar Bronze and Pewter Visitors Centre
Near Whitaker Lodge B&B you can visit:
- Fore Abbey – Click here for more
- Tullynally Castle with Tearooms and Gardens
- Lough Lene, White Lough
- Lough Sheever
- Pollard Karting
- Mullingar Equestrian & Horse Riding
- Mullingar Golf Club
- Lough Crew Cairns